[teknoids] Windows EFS recovery

Tracey McCartney tracey at fairhousing.com
Tue Jul 13 22:43:35 EDT 2010

Teknoid friends:

My Windows 7 installation went kerplooie a few weeks ago, so I took that
as an opportunity to upgrade my hard drive and reinstall everything.
Unfortunately, some of the files that are on the old drive, which is now
in an enclosure, were encrypted with Windows 7 File Encryption System.
Needless to say, I haven't been able to open them, move them, copy them
to the new drive, anything.  And of course I encrypted them JUST before
things went bad, so I didn't back up the encryption key.

There are commercial products that purportedly recover encryption keys,
like Advanced EFS Data Recovery (http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html).
Have any of you had any experience with this problem and with this kind
of software?  I hate to shell out $150-$250 for something that may not work.

Thanks,

Tracey