[teknoids] If gadget is required, accommodations must be made ...

Overdorf, Ryan ryan.overdorf at utoledo.edu
Fri Jul 2 06:52:08 EDT 2010

Amazon promised to fix the navigation issue even before releasing the Kindle DX, but did not include a timetable.  After the NFB sued the universities, Amazon committed to making the fix by the summer of 2010. The Justice Department settlements effectively required the universities to cease using the Kindle (except to complete the current semester obligations) until the fix is completed.

Theoretically, Amazon will be providing a fully accessible device within the next several weeks. I suspect that trying to make other reasonable accommodations will be less cost effective than buying the fully accessible Kindle. The likely practical effect of the Dear Colleague letter is to limit the choice of e-book readers available to colleges and universities.  Will this kill the pilot programs, or will everyone just buy the new and improved Kindle?

Ryan S. Overdorf
Senior Electronic/Media Services Librarian
LaValley Law Library
University of Toledo College of Law
(419) 530-2759
Ryan.Overdorf at utoledo.edu