[teknoids] If gadget is required, accommodations must be made ...

Elmer Masters emasters at cali.org
Thu Jul 1 11:54:44 EDT 2010

Has anyone tried the Kindle PC software with JAWS or another screen
reader? I would think that if JAWS or its ilk could read what displays
in the Kindle software then that would provide the accommodation that
is going to be necessary here.

FWIW, I think it is not appropriate for the federal government to be
sticking their nose in here. We're talking about new, innovative
technologies that are a couple of years (at least) away from
widespread adoption in a market that is typically sensitive to the
needs of students with disabilities. The Feds should have intervened
if there was a problem.

Elmer.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Allan Chen <abchen at scu.edu> wrote:
> My preference is certainly that all of the books used on the Kindle and
> other e-readers have a "read aloud" feature and the option of loading other
> voices.  However, I also wonder why the "usual" accommodation is not offered
> immediately - take the book, and make it available as a separate electronic
> document (which can be read) or printed out into braille.  That's what has
> been done for print books for a long time, after all.
>
> I know that Amazon is already working on a default read aloud feature for
> all books.  Being able to use custom voices would be the next step.
>
> allan

Director of Internet Development
emasters at cali.org	773-332-7508