[teknoids] Examsoft MAC

Stephen App app.stephen at temple.edu
Wed Aug 18 10:55:00 EDT 2010

Hey Peter -
  We at Temple Law are in the same boat.  Our current plan is to offer it up
to students in the Spring Semester.  The larger problem for us, in using
this strategy, is what to tell students to do for the Fall 2010 exams.  It's
tough to tell people to purchase windows and partition their hard drive just
for one semester.
   I also would love to know what some others are doing in this area.

Steve App

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Peter Stanisci <pstanisci at tourolaw.edu>wrote:

>  We kicked off our Orientation this Sunday, and have our first Classes
> this Friday – I trust many of you are starting next week.  Good Luck.
>

> I received an email yesterday from Examsoft announcing their Mac version is
> available and this presents an interesting dilemma.  Without the Mac
> version, our First Years with Macs are told if they want to take their exams
> on computer they must use Boot Camp and buy a Windows OS.   In the very
> least this represents an added expense to the Mac users, and for some
> represents all that is evil in this world.  :)
>

> With this new software… clearly it will remove both of those issues for
> these students…  The question for me is RISK vs REWARD.  In general, I am in
> no way, shape or form an early adopter of new software programs.  That goes
> double when something is as mission critical as exams are to students.  So,
> there isn’t any way I would allow them to use the software for this
> semester…  period – but what about the Spring?  Would one exams season give
> me (us) the confidence that this software was solid?  How would the students
> that invested in installing boot camp and the OS react to having made that
> investment 4 months earlier when they could have waited?  All good
> questions.
>

> My current thought is to say, we’re waiting a year to ensure all the bugs
> are out.  I am curious what those of you that use Examsoft are thinking too.
>

> Regards,
>

> *Peter Stanisci*
>
> Assistant Dean for Information Technology
>
> Touro Law Center
>
> 225 Eastview Drive
>
> Central Islip, NY 11722
>

> EMail:    PStanisci at tourolaw.edu