[teknoids] Netbooks

Urrea, Nick urrean at uchastings.edu
Mon Feb 23 13:42:23 EST 2009

I just bought a Lenovo S10 Ideapad.

I went with the 80 GIG hd, 512 MB Ram $299

I installed a 2 GB memory module for $25 on newegg.com .

Works great for

SSH and Web work

as well as Acrobat, Word, Excel, and watching the occasion Youtube
video.

I was also able to run some sound software (Traktor, Serato), on the
machine without a problem or slowdown.

I noticed that running HD over the web via Flash is a little much for
the device.

I also love the size and weight.

The 10" screen is nice.

The keyboard takes a little getting used to. Especially the right shift
key.

If you are not looking to do any heavy multi-track sound or video
editing the S10 is a great portable computer. (under 3 pounds)

One issue I noticed is with the power settings. The default power
setting for running on batteries is to cut the CPU performance in half.

I couldn't work with the half CPU performance. The setting was easily
changed.

A student brought it in to our offices one day and I was sold.

----

Nicholas Urrea

Information Technology

UC Hastings College of the Law