[teknoids] Restricting of wireless access in classrooms

Smith, Gregory GSmith at law.umaryland.edu
Wed Dec 2 15:00:22 EST 2009

**BE WARNED** WiFi blocking paint is going to kill cell phone signals. You are going to have some very upset students and some emergency communications issues to consider.

I believe the purpose of the paint is to keep the WiFi signal from bleeding out of the room or building where hackers can attempt entry. However, I think that Nick is asking how you can deny students in a classroom from using wireless.

But I imagine that you could use the paint in an off-label fashion: Paint the room to block WiFi access points from the adjoining spaces then turn off the access points within the classroom. Better yet leave the in-classroom AP's on with the same SSID but wall them off from the Internet. That way the WiFi signal in the room should be strong enough to keep students from getting a weak connection to an AP in an adjoining space that is still live.

And no...we haven't implemented anything here at UMSOL to block wireless.

Gregory Smith
Manager, Information Technology Office
University of Maryland School of Law