[teknoids] Wireless Printing in Law Libraries

Matthew Perna MPerna at tourolaw.edu
Tue Aug 18 15:20:08 EDT 2009

We here at Touro Law School we use Pharos. I use it for Lab printing as well
as Student laptop printing. It asks students for a username and password with
a popup to allow the print job to go through. Then they go to the Printer and
pick it up.  I can charge what I want and credit when I want. I also can
arrange the billing to go to a negative balance and still allow printing.
Currently we offer 4 printers available throughout the library for this.

Pro's

Easy to setup packages that are EXE's that install the printers and popup
question on the student's laptops.

Nice reporting per printer per student and group

Manage it from any workstation with a client installed.

Set and forget!

Cons

Mac package setup is tricky. Took a little bit. Needed to make a package for
tiger os and a different one for Leopard OS.

Only 32 bit support right now.  64 bit support coming in November.

Email me directly and I will explain how I use this on my lab computers. As
far as the network setup the print server and the printers are isolated in
their own V-lan. The same V-Lan the student laptops connect to via wireless.
This keeps wireless laptops away from our production environment.

Matthew Perna MCSE

Assistant Director for Information Technology

Touro Law Center

225 East View Drive

Central Islip NY  11722

Email: Mperna at tourolaw.edu <mailto:Mperna at tourolaw.edu>