[teknoids] Bandwidth Discussion

Peter Stanisci pstanisci at tourolaw.edu
Fri Nov 21 10:58:00 EST 2008

I was blown away to think that a law school has 1GB connectivity to the
outside world.  I called my carrier, Lightpath (aka Cablevision on LI) and
found a 1GB pipe would cost me 25K per month.  I can only assume that for
those of you that have 1GB that it is a shared connection with the main
campus or university.  Please clarify if I am wrong.

We're in the process of putting up a media server, we are considering a
VBrick system or just hosting it on a Microsoft/HP box.  We are trying to
contemplate the hit on our bandwidth and that is why I was asking such
pointed questions.

I think it would be an interesting to know, the amount of bandwidth schools
have relative to the amount of students, faculty and staff that utilize it.

We have 20MB pipe

2 PRIs (3MB) for voice

17MB data circuit

10MB are set aside for the student community (700 FT/PT)

7MB  for the faculty and staff browsing (150 people) -  including website and
email traffic

Peter