[teknoids] 2008 CALI Conference Theme - need your help

Filippa Marullo Anzalone Filippa.Anzalone at bc.edu
Thu Jan 10 09:48:32 EST 2008

Generator Microsoft Word 11 (filtered medium) Jim, I like your idea of reflecting on the some of the basic assumptions of Law School IT roles and functions. Peace, Filippa

Filippa Marullo Anzalone
Professor of Law
Associate Dean for Library & Computing Services
Boston College Law School
885 Centre Street
Newton Centre, MA 02459
Phone (617) 552-6809 cell (617)417-5603
E-mail: filippa.anzalone at bc.edu

From: teknoids-bounces at ruckus.law.cornell.edu [mailto:teknoids-bounces at ruckus.law.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Jim Milles Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:43 AM To: Teknoids Subject: Re: [teknoids] 2008 CALI Conference Theme - need your help

I've just posted the following comment at the Caliopolis blog:
"We haven't set up the website or even put out a call for speakers yet because I am stumped on deciding a theme for this conference. After AALS, I was thinking of something like "From MacCrate to Carnegie: Back to the Future", but it doesn't have that much to do with Law School IT."
Maybe that's your theme right there. I've always had a nagging feeling that the one of the unstated assumptions behind CALI's was that schools that don't heavily implement technology are uninterested in innovation, and law professors who don't use technology are uninterested in teaching. Between the Carnegie report, the Best Practices report, and the theme of the latest AALS meeting, there seems to be a greatly renewed interest in innovation and reform in legal education. If technology has a small role to play in the current reforms, perhaps it's time for a critical reflection on some of the basic assumptions regarding law school IT?
I'm just sayin'.
Jim Milles