[teknoids] 2008 CALI Conference Theme - need your help

Jim Milles jgmilles at buffalo.edu
Thu Jan 10 09:42:35 EST 2008

I've just posted the following comment at the
Caliopolis<http://caliopolis.classcaster.org/blog/cali_conference/2008/01/10/2008conftheme>blog:

"We haven't set up the website or even put out a call for speakers yet
> because I am stumped on deciding a theme for this conference. After AALS, I
> was thinking of something like "From MacCrate to Carnegie: Back to the
> Future", but it doesn't have that much to do with Law School IT."
>
> Maybe that's your theme right there. I've always had a nagging feeling
> that the one of the unstated assumptions behind CALI's was that schools that
> don't heavily implement technology are uninterested in innovation, and law
> professors who don't use technology are uninterested in teaching. Between
> the Carnegie report, the Best Practices report, and the theme of the latest
> AALS meeting, there seems to be a greatly renewed interest in innovation and
> reform in legal education. If technology has a small role to play in the
> current reforms, perhaps it's time for a critical reflection on some of the
> basic assumptions regarding law school IT?
>
> I'm just sayin'.

Jim Milles

On Jan 10, 2008 3:26 AM, John Mayer <jmayer at cali.org> wrote:

> Oh yes.
>
> I have been in touch with Paul quite a lot lately about his SIMPLE
> (SIMulated Professional Learning Environment) project.
>
> "Transforming Legal Education"  wouldn't be a bad theme at all!
>
> John
>
> On 1/10/08, William Andersen <ander at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
> >  John:
> >
> > Have you seen Paul Maharg's book, *Transforming Legal
> > Education--Learning and Teaching Law in the Early 21st Century* (Ashgate
> > 2007)?  Paul is at Strathclyde and you may have met him at Subtech
> > conferences.  The book is a really innovative piece on legal education with
> > a special emphasis on technology.   Not a bad core document for a CALI
> > conference theme.
> >
> > Bill
> > =============================
> > William R. Andersen
> > Judson Falknor Professor of Law Emeritus
> > University of Washington Law School
> > William H. Gates Hall
> > Box 353020
> > Seattle, WA 98195-3020
> > 206/543-9385
> > FAX 206/616-3480
> > ander at u.washington.edu

Jim Milles
Professor of Law
Vice Dean for Legal Information Services
Director of the Law Library
University at Buffalo Law School
208 O'Brian Hall
Buffalo, NY  14260