[teknoids] Examsoft Site Engineers

Jane Chang jchang at law.usc.edu
Thu Feb 21 11:35:18 EST 2008

I'll be serving as Site Captain for the WA Bar Exam next week.  I've
been providing SofTest support (Examinator before that) for nearly 11
years and have been providing support at Bar Exams for 8 years (Site
Captain for the past 4-5 years).

It is as Jeffrey stated in his e-mail.  I don't recall the name of the
company ExamSoft is working with, but the local techs will have been
trained on SofTest and there's even a test that they need to take to
verify that they're familiar with the software.  However, it's one thing
to get familiar with how the software operates and a completely
different thing to be able to troubleshoot it.

To be honest, I'm preparing myself for the worst.  There simply is *no*
substitute for prior experience providing SofTest support at a law
school and the head knowledge that comes with it.  I'm anticipating that
there will be quite a learning curve for these techs and they're going
to have to learn very quickly.

The confidence (or lack thereof) of a Site Engineer to troubleshoot any
given problem will directly affect the state of mind of an applicant.
Without prior experience, I'm not sure how confident these local techs
can be.

I'm also anticipating that I'll be doing a lot more running around that
first day.

ExamSoft can provide as much troubleshooting information and tips as
possible.  But, the practical application is completely different from
head knowledge.

Perhaps I'm being too pessimistic.  But, hey, maybe I'll be pleasantly
surprised next week!

ExamSoft can count on me to give an evaluation of how things went.

Jane

Jane Chang
Assistant Director
Student Computing Services