[teknoids] support policies re Macs

Wiseman, Kim kwiseman at richmond.edu
Fri Feb 8 09:48:24 EST 2008

1.	We currently do not have any faculty or staff using Mac's, but
we have in the past.  Our experience was that these people knew much
more about them than we (the computer techie's) did.
2.	We saw a huge jump in the number of students who brought Mac's
this year.  UofR has a laptop requirement; three years ago, (with
Panther), we started allowing students to bring Macs.  The first year,
about 12 brought them.  The second year, 17.  Last year, 42!  The
students are somewhat satisfied with their support.  We tell them from
the first mailing about our program that we have limited Mac support (I
have one; I am learning it, and loving it).  Most students are pretty
saavy; some thought the Mac commercials were cool and here they are.  In
fact, I have such a Mac in my office as I type, who's owner doesn't
remember the admin password, and her account is a standard account so I
can't load any software on it.  Sigh.
3.	We didn't until three years ago.  Our students join our domain;
until OSX, Macs and Active directories did not play nice with each other
... they'd both take their balls and bats and go home.  Although they
still don't agree on the color uniform to wear, they at least will play
on the same field.

Kimberly Wiseman

Computer Services

Law School Library