[teknoids] support policies re Macs

Vander Ploeg, Daniel danvan at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 6 18:52:45 EST 2008

1.     Do you provide support to faculty members using Macs?  If yes, is
it equivalent to the support you provide for Windows, or are there
limitations?

No.  Not officially, anyway.  We have two faculty members who have
elected to use a Mac in their offices with the understanding that they
are completely on their own for support.  We end up helping out anyway
with ordering software, filling in network numbers/addresses, and the
like.  Same for student Macs.

2.     Are you and the users satisfied with the Mac support situation?
Do Macs take more time than Windows to support?

The Mac users are not satisfied.  They would like to be officially
supported.  I'm not thrilled with the idea of having to support another
OS, but would if the number of Macs in use was high enough to justify
the extra staff time.  The Macs we have seen seem to require little work
after the initial setup.  Student Mac owners do seem to give us more
attitude for some reason.

3.     Are there schools that do not support Macs at all?

That would be us.  They aren't outlawed, but they aren't supported
either.

Daniel B. Vander Ploeg
Director of Information Services
University of Illinois College of Law