[teknoids] Wiki recommendations

marbux marbux at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 23:22:51 EST 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 12:25 PM, Urrea, Nick <urrean at uchastings.edu> wrote:

>  We are going to implement a campus Wiki for Staff, Faculty and Students.
>
> We would like a wiki that is very easy to use for non computer savvy
> people.
>
> (easy to login, easy to use, easy to access)
>
> Also we would like to secure parts of the Wiki so that only parts of the
> wiki can be seen on campus as well as by certain users.
>

> Any recommendations on wikis?

I've been very impressed by Daisy. Your goal description sounds like Daisy
might meet your requirements.   <http://www.cocoondev.org/daisy/index.html>.

It's a bit of a bear to install, but once configured it's very easy to use.
WYSIWYG editing, for starters. It also includes a very powerful document and
document parts repository management system, allowing the easy maintenance
of document versions and variants. It also has a very strong and easy to use
transclusion system so single editing points can be maintained for recurring
content, integrated with the site search function so that existing content
can be easily found and recycled.

Daisy also features easy creation of highly secure separate sites running
off the same Daisy instance. Separate sites get their own namespaces in the
repository, so unintended data leakage between sites is not a big factor.

Out of the box, Daisy publishes to XHTML and to PDF. One component is
designed for creating lengthy documents such as books.

"The book publishing component allows for the generation of professionally
> formatted books with table of contents, section numbering,
> cross-referencing, footnotes, index, lists of images and tables, etc. It
> goes much further than simply concatenating some pages. Headers in documents
> are shifted based on their hierarchical position within the book, and when
> doing a chunked-HTML publication, the chunking is performed irrespective of
> the boundaries of the original documents."

Other formats can easily be added because Daisy is built atop the Apache
Cocoon framework, which supports a wide range of data  formats as input and
output. See list of supported formats on this page. <
http://cocoon.apache.org/1363_1_1.html>.

Lots more, but it sounds like Daisy might be the industrial-strength tool
you're looking for.