[teknoids] Blackboard - I don't get it - what's the big deal

ghankstef ghankstef at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 13:22:02 EST 2007

When - I look at Blackboard (we have the basic version) I fail to see why this is such a mission critical tool for universities. I see a discussion forum, a place to post documents, and send email to a group. It all looks very basic. I'm not saying these tools are not needed. I just don't see how Blackboard became so dominant when it offers such basic tools that can easily be replicated in any number of open source systems quite easily.

Now I know some IT departments prefer to outsource their learning management systems to reduce pressure on staff, but the price/payoff doesn't seem to add up for me.

Enlighten me