[teknoids] cams is coming

Rich McCue rmccue at uvic.ca
Mon Oct 22 18:11:26 EDT 2007

Hey... I'm going to be at your law school tomorrw, would you mind if I
dropped by to take a look at your setup?  I'll probably be arriving there
between 1:30 and 3:00 for a tour of your law library.  Let me know if that
would work for you.

Take Care.

Rich

On 10/18/07, Jon Larson <jtlarson at u.washington.edu> wrote:

>  Rich,
>
> If you are interested in another option for a recording system, you might
> take a look at my CALI presentation on MythTV:
> http://wiki.cali.org/calicon07/index.php?n=Sessions.346
>
> In terms of function this system is similar to Tom's CAMS system, with 2
> major differences: 1. Instead of Tom's CAMS scripts, this system uses the
> MythTV suite (http://www.mythtv.org/) for recording management and
> scheduling. 2. We use discreet MPEG2 capture cards instead of the all-in-one
> cameras which CAMS is designed for. This allowed us to use/upgrade our
> existing cameras separately. It also allows us to support different camera
> models in different rooms.
>
> After recording is complete, I have a script which compresses each
> recording into MP3 and MPEG-4 versions and creates RSS feeds for each class
> automatically--I can share this with anyone who is interested.
>
> In terms of workload, the system can handle up to 9 simultaneous
> recordings, but we typically only have up to 6 simultaneous recordings or
> 10-20 classes on the schedule on any given day. The only active part we play
> in the day to day operations is to schedule the recordings to "record once"
> or "Always record." MythTV does the rest.
>

> Jon Larson
> Systems Administrator
> University of Washington School of Law
>

> Tom Ryan wrote:
>
> Great!
>
> We¹re sitting on several hundred GB of material this semester alone.. Not a
> bad ³haul²..
>
> If you don¹t have an infrastructure in place, it is probably, no I¹d say,
> the cheapest way to do it with decent results..
>
> Tom
>

> On 10/17/07 3:43 PM, "Rich McCue" <rmccue at uvic.ca> <rmccue at uvic.ca> wrote:
>
>    Tom,
>
> How are is your "CAMS" system working?  I'm starting to get some inquires from
> administration on to cost of setting up or purchasing of something like what
> you've created.  Any info would be much appreciated.
>
> Take Care.
>
> Rich
>
> On 6/22/07, Tom Ryan <tomryan at camlaw.rutgers.edu> <tomryan at camlaw.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>
>  I know people have been waiting.. well its time, cams is coming..
>
> june 26th.
>
> http://camlaw.rutgers.edu/~tomryan/cams/ <http://camlaw.rutgers.edu/%7Etomryan/cams/><http://camlaw.rutgers.edu/%7Etomryan/cams/> <http://camlaw.rutgers.edu/%7Etomryan/cams/>
>

> CAMS (Completed Automated Media System) is just that, automated and easy,
> podcasts, video streaming, opening/closing credits... all for under 2k per
> room including all hardware (camera, external mic if needed, data, etc).
>
> for everyone who's waited, the wait is over.
>

> Tom
> p.s. do I have a future in marketing, uh.... lets just say no.. thanks..

Rich McCue
Systems Administrator
University of Victoria Faculty of Law
http://law.uvic.ca/rmccue