[teknoids] cams is coming

Jon Larson jtlarson at u.washington.edu
Thu Oct 18 17:47:28 EDT 2007

Rich,

If you are interested in another option for a recording system, you
might take a look at my CALI presentation on MythTV:
http://wiki.cali.org/calicon07/index.php?n=Sessions.346

In terms of function this system is similar to Tom's CAMS system, with 2
major differences: 1. Instead of Tom's CAMS scripts, this system uses
the MythTV suite (http://www.mythtv.org/) for recording management and
scheduling. 2. We use discreet MPEG2 capture cards instead of the
all-in-one cameras which CAMS is designed for. This allowed us to
use/upgrade our existing cameras separately. It also allows us to
support different camera models in different rooms.

After recording is complete, I have a script which compresses each
recording into MP3 and MPEG-4 versions and creates RSS feeds for each
class automatically--I can share this with anyone who is interested.

In terms of workload, the system can handle up to 9 simultaneous
recordings, but we typically only have up to 6 simultaneous recordings
or 10-20 classes on the schedule on any given day. The only active part
we play in the day to day operations is to schedule the recordings to
"record once" or "Always record." MythTV does the rest.

Jon Larson
Systems Administrator
University of Washington School of Law