[teknoids] More on centralization

Kenneth Hirsh ken at law.duke.edu
Fri Mar 10 15:04:16 EST 2006

I think the general answer of "do what you do best and outsource the rest" sounds - or looks - good, but each of us is subject to whatever limitations exist in our university environment.  For example, while we have headaches from managing our own email and file servers, we can provision an account on both in a matter of 5 minutes.  The U takes 1-2 business days.  When you get surprised with a change in visiting professor, the latter does not cut it.  Many users like having responsible IT managers down the hall, so they don't have to wait on an answer from central campus.  And I may want to update my NetWare Tree or Windows Active Directory before, or after, the university does their updates.
Ken

>>> John Mayer <jmayer at cali.org> 3/10/2006 2:17 PM >>>
I forgot to ask...

So who wants to do the conference session on "Centralization vs.
Calcification"?

John

John P. Mayer
Executive Director