[teknoids] More on centralization

John Mayer jmayer at cali.org
Fri Mar 10 14:10:23 EST 2006

Lots of interesting stuff on teknoids today!

I think that law school IT should outsource everything that is a
commodity and use all its resources for teaching, faculty and
educational support and innovation.

Why reinvent the so-often-reinvented wheel by running your own email
system, file storage system or administration system. Let the U do that
or outsource it.

Keep a server or three around for anything and everything else that you
want to experiement with.

Build cool stuff like Tom Ryan's auto-video-scheduler-mashup confabulator.

Write awesome software like Seattle's HotSeat.

Come up with new ways to do the casebook like Duke's Contract Experience.

Invent new service delivery systems like the virtual reference desk that
some law libraries are collaborating on using IM, chat, webcams or
virtual avatars.

Get out of the printing business entirely if you can.  Get out of the PC
repair business entirely if you can.  Keep some loaners and send out the
broken ones for repair or use the U's repair depot.

I'm going to get killed for this post - bring it on ;-)

John

John P. Mayer
Executive Director
565 West Adams