[teknoids] More on centralization

mark.folmsbee at washburn.edu mark.folmsbee at washburn.edu
Fri Mar 10 13:35:59 EST 2006

Sorry folks--one minor follow up regarding the centralization issue.
Can you tell we have been wrestling with the balance? -smile now;

1) We plan to continue (retain control of) print servers as well--and I
would hang onto all client side hardware and software
design/implementation.

But if we could end up with a strategy that would permit law students
to print to a nearby printer (say within some coffee shop at a
central campus student union?) --essentially anywhere on campus-- at
any time of day--I sure would prefer that over our limited "law school
only"
printing.

On-site support of local printers (by us) would be required regardless-
for anyhing in a law complex. And WestLaw and Lexis printing is another
matter all together-

2) Choice of software? If you can handle running off a university
contract/license, I think it is a serious financial boost to do so.  We
saved a bundle the last few years by "throwing in" with main campus
for OS--wordprocessing--and virus software purchases.

3) Culture?  If you hit law students early on (each year with entering
class), I think you can impact the culture some.  Though I agree --
there are limits.  And it means you have to keep hammering the group
with
email, signs, and video.  Actually, since we have pretty sophisticated
video production capability (with monitors throughout), we poke 'em
everywhere mercilessly with video information.  You go
Glen "Fordcopola" McBeth!

And you would need at least 60 minutes for some sort of
technology "orientation" during any new student orientation to lay it
all out (to have any HOPE of impacting the "culture"). Of course
transfers can have a kind of techno shock when they land-----

Mark Folmsbee
Associate Dean, Computer Services, School of Law
http://washlaw.edu