[teknoids] Outcome: Classcaster teleconference webcast

Elmer Masters emasters at cali.org
Wed Feb 1 14:18:30 EST 2006

Well, it worked:)  Rosa Peters, Michael Samson, and John Mayer joined me
via conference call for a lively discussion that ended up lasting nearly
an hour.  The call was streamed live over the Internet where a number of
people including Patty from Albany and Ray from Rutgers listened in and
participated via text chat.  The call was recorded and is now available
as an MP3 here:
http://classcaster_news.classcaster.org/blog/resource/podcast/classcaster-20060131-133120.mp3

Overall, I was pleased with how it went and we learned a few things.
Asterisk and the Classcaster server performed well with no real strain
placed on the server while handling the call, streaming on the net, and
recording.  If you listen to the podcast, you will note that the quality
varies and there are echo and feedback issues especially early in the
call. It seems that in this case quality of equipment matters.  Using a
good quality headset mic definitely makes a difference and using a
hand-held or table top mic with speakers is not a good idea.

 From a technical point of view the streaming and recording where fine.
  They accurately relayed exactly what we were hearing, the good and
bad.   The echo problems that are evident in the recording are from end
user equipment, not inherent in the system itself.

The net stream ran cleanly with about a 30-45 second delay that is to be
expected as the server transcodes the audio from the GSM codec used by
the SIP phones to the Vorbis codec of the stream and passes if from the
Asterisk PBX to the Icecast streaming server.  This latency can be
reduced by fine tuning the server. T

he recording was created natively by Asterisk as a mono WAV file with an
8K sample rate.  This results in a WAV file that is about 1 megabyte for
each minute of recording.  After the call was over I used Audacity to
normalize the audio and encode it as MP3.

I'm pretty sure we will be doing this again and developing CALI services
that make use of this technology.

Director of Internet Development
404-712-2211	emasters at cali.org