[teknoids] Cool Tool Monday

Thomas R. Bruce trb2 at cornell.edu
Wed Dec 13 10:57:06 EST 2006

steven perkins wrote:

>   There has been research done in Australia and New
> Zealand which would be more applicable to USA legal thought.  The
> whole area of legal informatics is a wasteland as far as the US is
> concerned.

Yeah, we're doing what we can.  But the reasons *why* it's a wasteland
are quite complicated.  Up until large corpora became available via the
Web there wasn't a lot for researchers to work with, for one thing.  IS
people tend to be much more interested in medical data, for another --
they see legal information research as lawyer subsidy.  The US is
jurisdictionally complex.  Civil-law jurisdictions find ontology
intellectually intuitive and practically accessible, since so much is
organized in terms of the code anyway.  And so on and so on.  But things
are changing, slowly -- much more interest now from PhD students in
legal applications, particularly from the small-world-network-theory crew.

t.