[teknoids] Weird network printing problem

James P. Callison callison at hamilton.law.ou.edu
Tue Apr 4 14:05:15 EDT 2006

Tracey McCartney wrote:
> The desktop computer in the office (static private IP) can ping and
> print to the printer just fine.  But two laptops in the office cannot
> even ping it.  I thought it might be because the laptops have
> dynamically assigned addresses, but I've since made mine static, and it
> still won't work.

Make sure the network parts of the address and the subnet masks all
agree. F'rinstance, if your subnet mask on the working machines is
255.255.255.0, make sure that your machines are all using 192.168.aaa.
for the network part of the address. In this case, if the working
machines are at 192.168.123.n, and the non-working machines are at
192.168.124.n, they won't be able to see the printer, because, to them,
it will be a non-local machine.

I don't remember how Windows does its autoconfiguration, but it's
entirely possible that the dynamically-assigned machines are getting
addresses with the wrong network address.

James

James P. Callison, MCP+I, MCSE
Network Administrator/Webmaster
The University of Oklahoma Law Center ITS
callison at www.law.ou.edu
  You've got to have an ace in the hole,
  A little secret that nobody knows
  Life is a gamble, a game we all play
  But you need to save something for a rainy day
	-- George Strait, "Ace In the Hole"